Rolling Road Widening Project – Now estimated to cost over $50 Million. Phase I will be the improvement of the intersection at Rolling Road (RR) and Old Keene Mill Road (OKMR) by adding a second left turn lane from northbound RR onto west bound OKMR, a dedicated right turn lane also from northbound RR onto east bound OKMR. The queue lanes for right and left turns from northbound RR are to be extended further south than what we now have and the traffic signal will have to be changed.
Phase II will be the actual widening of Rolling Road to two lanes northbound and two southbound along with left turn lanes, a raised median and curbside parking where it now exists. Left turn out of Ashford and Glover and left turns into those courts will no longer be possible once the project is completed. Overhead utility lines will not be buried as part of the project, but sound barriers / walls are included. A shared-use path will be included on the west side of RR to accommodate pedestrians and cyclists.
Northern Virginia Transportation Authority (NVTA) recently kicked in $11.1 Million matching funds which makes the project most definitely a “go”. Here’s the schedule taken from http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/northernvirginia/rolling_road_widening.asp. There you can also find their briefing slides for more information about the project. If you are new to the village and have specific questions, send them to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I’ll do my best to get answers.
- Phase I Begin Right of Way Acquisition - Fall 2018
- Phase I Begin Utility Relocation - Spring 2019
- Phase I Advertise for Construction - Fall 2019
- Phase I Begin Construction - Fall 2019/Winter 2020
- Phase I Construction Completion - Fall 2020
- Phase II Begin Right of Way Acquisition - Winter 2019
- Phase II Begin Utility Relocation - Winter 2020
- Phase II Advertise for Construction - Summer 2022
- Phase II Begin Construction - Fall 2022
- Phase II Construction Completion - Fall 2024