Dear Village Neighbors / Friends,
Illegal Dumping – It is illegal to dump trash, construction waste, grass clippings, pruned limbs or even trees in the Pohick Stream Park or in the Accotink Park Watershed. We (all of us) really have to do more to protect our parks and watershed. In fact, the same holds true for our storm water system intakes. Those intakes whether curbside or on your property are not dumping receptacles for waste, dog poop bags, grass clippings, leaves, etc. Surely you also remember the floods we have experienced when the storm water system clogged up flooding homes, the intersection of Vancouver and Landor and blowing the SWD box out of the ground. Again, this email is addressed to all of us.
Pohick Stream Park Cleanup – 9:00 AM, 22 April (Earth Day). More to follow, but for now – save the date and let’s all fall in to help protect the Parklands. This is normally a good family outing with meaningful outcomes. Plan on joining us.
Real Estate Market Report - Taken from Long & Foster Market Minute Report for February 2018 provided by Natalie Perdue (SVD). Note that the report includes all homes, not just detached homes like we have in the village.
- Last month there were 23 units sold in the West Springfield, a marked decrease compared to February 2017.
- There were 25 units in the active inventory compared to 29 in February 2017.
- The median sales price increased by $8000.00 compared to a year ago.
- Last month, there was 1.1 months of supply available in West Springfield. Months of supply is calculated by dividing current inventory by current sales. It indicates how many months would be needed to sell all of the inventory available at the current rate of demand.
- There were 34 newly listed homes for sale in West Springfield.
- Sale Price to List Price Ratio - The average sale price in West Springfield was 99.4% of the average list price.
- Days on Market - This month, the average number of days on market was 24, lower than the average last year, which was 36.
Homes for Rent – have had two inquiries just this last week from folks looking to rent a village home. Let me know if you know of one that is now or will soon be available.
Scout Troops Selling Mulch? – Has to be a true sign of spring when residents start asking which clubs, groups or troops are selling mulch. Have one active request for a scout troop – send your response to me and I’ll forward it to this lady and anyone else wanting such information.
Budget Town Hall – tonight, 22 March, 7:00 PM with Supervisor Pat Herrity and County Executive, Bryan Hill, at the West Springfield Government Center in the Community Room. The fiscal outlook for Fairfax County will be discussed followed by our questions. I suspect we’ll hear just how much the Exec will want our RE taxes to go up; they are advertising a $0.02 tax levy increase. That does not mean it will be incorporated into the next county budget, but it can’t be any higher than $0.02 increase.
Rolling Valley ES Restaurant Fund Raisers:
- Tonight, 22 March, 6 – 9:00 PM - Austin Grill - 8430 Old Keene Mill Road
- 24 & 25 April - 5 – 9:00 PM - Ledo's Pizza - 8324 Old Keene Mill Road
West Springfield Elementary School – Kathy Tran may be busy in Richmond, but we are very willing to include Mustang News and Fund Raisers. Same holds true to Keene Mill Elementary, Irving Middle and West Springfield High School.
Lifeguards Wanted – from Jen Guernsey, VW Pool President - Crystal Aquatics is excited to provide swimming pool management to Village West during the 2018 summer. We greatly value the Village West community and look forward to having a safe and successful season. Lifeguarding is a rewarding and fun summer job and Village West is a great place to work. We have full and part time positions available with flexible hours. Hourly wages range from $7.75 - $12 per hour, based on certification level and experience. Lifeguards can earn additional money by teaching swim lessons (upwards of $50 per hour). If you are interested in lifeguarding, please fill out an application online at www.crystalaquatics.com. If you would like to lifeguard this summer but have no experience or training, no problem. You can be hired now, contingent upon successful completion of a lifeguarding course prior to Memorial Day. Crystal Aquatics will be holding American Red Cross Lifeguard Training courses in the spring of 2018. Apply now, and we will take you through the interview process and give you information regarding work and training. If you have any questions or require further information, please feel free to visit the Crystal Aquatics’ website or give us a call at 703/488-9962.
2018 Fairfax County Teen Job Fairs and Resume Building Workshops – Students should register at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuSSaLImT3ESMjN_-z-BP4hkgp1tAy5VCJvHaL779YjR0dkw/viewform.
Businesses and organizations should fill out the application form at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfzHK-d-RF8bU3eFckMu3CbgSFV6TV98L2e4btPUxk7sHJNmw/viewform.
Remaining Schedule (all on Saturday):
- 7 April from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Chantilly HS
- 14 April from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at Mount Vernon HS
- 21 April from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM at South Lakes HS
- 28 April from 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM at West Springfield HS
Pro Discount – Gus Hagi, owner and operator of Gus and Sons Home Remodeling, offered his 20% pro discount for paint at Home Depot. Just enter his name and phone number 703/589-4424 and our Village as the job site.
Stay warm, safe and dry. Drive carefully to help keep our children safe!