Dear Village Neighbors / Friends,
Civic Association Membership Drive - It’s time to kick off our annual membership drive. Dues are again $10.00 for Fiscal/Membership Year 2018, which begins 1 October 2017 and ends 30 September 2018. The membership form can be found on our website and is attached to this email and will be included in the September Village Crier. You can also pay online using PayPal by clicking “Here” to pay $11.00 via PayPal – the extra $1.00 covers the cost of PayPal processing. And, it is about the same as mailing in $10.00 with a $0.49 stamp. Pay early and we’ll move you into a separate category for the enews that will not include reminders to join/renew. We already have 15 who prepaid for FY18; they will receive this message, but excluded along with those who join or renew from future membership appeals.
If you can do only one thing to support our village – make it be your membership in our civic association. Your dues along with those from the rest of the village allow us to:
- Represent the interests of the village to district, county, state and respective agencies such as Fairfax County and Virginia Departments of Transportation (FCDOT and VDOT). That’s how we were able to get the traffic light at Rolling and Barnack Drive and helped get the cell phone tower at the Village West Pool. Remember the days of no cell signal strength? Current issue is the Rolling Road widening project.
- Maintain the median on Rolling Road
- Negotiate group discount service rates such as AAA/Republic Trash that saves you well over $100.00 per year
- Provide a Community Directory to members of our civic association.
- Publish the Village Crier.
- Sponsor an annual community-wide yard sale. Your civic association pays the costs of ads and signs.
- Conduct an annual community cleanup. Members save much more than the cost of dues by using this service to get rid of appliances, lawn mowers, grills and other items too large for curbside pickup without paying extra, a lot extra.
- Distribute weekly email news to those who provide email addresses. We protect your email addresses and other personal information.
- Maintain a group FaceBook page that allows you to report a missing pet or found keys or a water main break
- Conduct two annual meetings; one in May, the other in October.
- Host or co-host three parties during the year - Memorial Day Parade and Pool Party, Halloween and Christmas Party. OK – there is one other thing you can do to support the village – come join your neighbors and friends at these social events.
We welcome your ideas to make our civic association even better. Contact Membership Chair Julia Hale (email@example.com), John Cooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) or any on the board of directors or executive committee for more information about our organization. Our objective remains at 75% membership, but our goal is 100%. With that goal there is just one more thing you can do to help – talk to your neighbors, especially the new ones about the benefit the village receives from our civic organization.
Live Oak Restaurant / Octoberfest – Jeremy Barber’s Live Oak Restaurant has teamed up with Fair Winds Brewery for an Oktoberfest event. The event is September 15th from 3 – 10 PM at the Fair Winds Brewery in Lorton (7000 Newington Road, Suites K&L). I hope to be able to attach Jeremy’s flyer.
Special Countywide Election - Tuesday, 29 August to fill a vacant at-large seat on the Fairfax County School Board. The winner of this election will serve for the remainder of the seat's term, which expires on December 31, 2019.
Absentee voting is already underway! The last day to absentee vote in person is Saturday, 26 August at the Fairfax County Government Center from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
On Special Election Day, polls will be open from 6:00 AM - 7:00 PM.
Five Things to Know to Vote:
- Review your sample ballot.
- The election is countywide at all 243 precincts; check your polling location.
- Bring a valid form of photo ID to vote.
- Fairfax County Public Schools will be open on Tuesday, August 29, which is the second day of classes. If your voting precinct is located in a school, you are encouraged to vote before or after school hours (if possible) and to postpone voting during the times when school buses are dropping off or picking up students.
- Check election results online after 7 PM.
- For more information, please visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/elections/upcoming.htm or contact the Fairfax County Office of Elections by emailing email@example.com or calling 703/222-0776.
Village West Pool Activities:
Crab Fest is this Saturday, August 26 starting at 5:00 PM. Because of the expense of this event, you must purchase or reserve tickets online by midnight Friday. Click here to reserve! Remember that we are also offering a steak option this year. Hope to see you there.
Labor Day = Bring ALL Your Friends to the Pool Day! Village West Pool will be open for non-members during our final day of the season, so bring your neighbors and friends - especially those who might be interested in a membership for 2018! We will be grilling burgers and dogs during 12 – 3:00 PM.
Schools Start Monday, 28 August – Let’s remind ourselves to look carefully for the little people before backing out of our driveways and to drive even more slowly knowing they will be excited and probably not as attentive to traffic as we adults want them to be.
October Meeting with Candidates – I invited both candidates vying to fill Dave Albo’s 42nd district seat in the Virginia House of Delegates. Will keep you informed about their responses to the invitation.
Real Estate Market Analysis – Many of you responded with interest to continue RE Market Analysis in future enews. Thanks for answering!