Dear Village Neighbor / Friend,
1. Calendar (Refer to the calendar in your community directory or see details in archived editions of the enews at our website www.westspringfieldvillage.org):
- 8 May from 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Document Shredding at the Rolling Valley Park & Ride, 9220 Old Keene Mill Road in Burke.
- 9 May – Mother’s Day
- 13 May – Village Virtual Meeting, 7:30 PM
- 22 May – Scheduled Day for Village-Wide Yard Sale (virus permitting)
- 29 May – Memorial Day Picnic and Pool Party is CANCELLED due to Covid-19 restrictions
- 12 June – Community Cleanup is CANCELLED due to Covid-19
2. Covid-19 – Use https://vaccinefinder.org to find who has vaccine and to schedule an appointment.
3. Virtual Village Meeting – 13 May starting at 7:30 PM – via zoom. Main agenda item is to set the annual dues for FY2022. Our dues have been $10.00 per year for over 20+ years now and honestly $10.00 has been enough if we can obtain 80% membership in our civic association, but we did not meet that membership revenue objective this FY21 nor the year before (FY20).
Our annual expenses are at/about $3500.00, but that doesn’t include unexpected cost increases, unforeseen initiatives or opportunities to donate. In years past, we have donated to both local elementary schools and financed two Eagle Scout Projects. We have managed to stay in the black due to frugal spending, the Rolling Valley subdivision members, even some who moved from the village, but want to stay in our loop. And we have been limited on activities due to the virus.
So, do we raise the dues or knuckle down and get 350 dues-paying household memberships? If it is the latter, we’ll need all of us to spread the word. We have a lot of new neighbors, but have delivered only 3 directories with welcome letter. Please let me know if/when you have a new neighbor no matter if they are renting or buying. You or I can deliver a welcome letter with Village Directory, you call.
Please Join the Village Zoom Meeting and voice your opinion.
Meeting ID: 859 9300 5376
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,85993005376#,,,,*373042# US (New York)
+13017158592,,85993005376#,,,,*373042# US (Washington DC)
Dial by your location929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kepxZilkTR
Instructions are available; let me know if we need to include in next week’s enews.
4. Village West Pool / Vikings Swim Team - Welcomes You! Virtual Open House Monday, May 3 at 7:30 PM. Village West Pool is a summer hub for the West Springfield Village / Rolling Valley community. With kids of all ages (and lots of friendly and fun adults, too), it's your destination for relaxed summer fun! Join today - new members receive a 20% discount! For more information, visit www.villagewestpool.com or pop on to our virtual open house (see details below).
The Village West Vikings are excited to have a 2021 season! Swimmers (age 4 and up), all abilities, there is a place for you with the Vikings! We are a summertime swim team that is part of the Northern Virginia Swim League, the largest summer swim league in the nation. Our goal is to enable swimmers to improve their swimming skills while working as part of a team and having FUN! Also, for your convenience, we have morning and evening practice options. For more information, please go to villagewestvikings.com or pop on to our virtual open house (see details below).
Village West Pool / Vikings Swim Team Virtual Open House, Monday, May 3 at 7:30 PM. To attend, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link.
5. Featured Directory Advertiser: Davis Roofing Company, 703/569-3388, www.davis-roofing.net. They have reroofed and repaired roofs on a lot of village homes and well known for their speedy and quality service. They will provide a free estimate and also install seamless gutters and downspouts, available in most colors. If you get an estimate or work done by them, please thank them for their ad in our directory.
6. Community Yard Sale & Free for All – it’s about time to see that glass as half full. Let’s proceed with plans to conduct the yard sale on 22 May from 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM, rain date is 5 June. We can always turn it off if need be, but please let me know if you intend to participate. Would like a general category listing of items you have to sell and / or if you will put out items clearly marked as free for anyone who stops by. Free stuff is enticement for customers to stop by, but you may want to highlight something else in your list to cause folks to want to come have a look.
We’ll make a list of participants by address and that category listing and attach a copy of our village map so you can give to your customers (if they don’t already have one) to guide them to the next participant. This has worked very well in past years, but do recommend you spice up you listing.
7. Cicadas – some are already out, but this warmer weather will bring the swarm out soon. Expect your dogs and cats to eat their share. The bug itself is not harmful to them as long as they don’t overeat in excitement.
8. Contractor Recommendation – Tim & Jenna Barron (Landor) thought this guy was great. He went to their home and restrung their blinds.
Side Note – When you ask a contractor for an estimate, toss in free advertising in the enews if he/she or they do the job you expect. Each enews edition is then archived on our website so that spooky business card above can live on and on.
9. House Cleaners – Lidia (Betty) Palacios has cleaned my home for a very long time now. She has other village references, but she is remarkably thorough, efficient and honest. She will clean your home before and / or after a family celebration, once each week, twice a month or monthly. Price varies with frequency, but her prices are very reasonable and competitive. She is at 571/241-7133 or by email at email@example.com.
John Cooley, CAWSV