Do you actually read the weekly enews or at least scan the highlights in case something might interest you? Republic Trash claims they will pick up our yard waste tomorrow (Friday, 7/9/21). Remind you that I can only speak for 8131 Edmonton Court even though I impressed upon their CSR that the entire route was missed. Each of us have to call and waste time on hold waiting for their CSRs. I have asked for our roads to be surveyed for resurfacing or at least to be put on the schedule. More to follow.
I hope you also enjoyed the show of national pride with flags posted at each village home thanks to Tim & Yee-Peng Royster and their band of volunteers. I applaud all involved for helping bring us just a bit closer as a community or at least to make us appear more like community. Well done Mr & Mrs. Royster; very well done!
- New Neighbors & Directories
- Village Signs
- Free Summer Concerts
- Featured Contractor
- DMV w/Kids Database
- Lasagna Dinner
- Handyman Extraordinaire – Haidar Sadiq
- 14 July - 1st Summer Concert at Burke Lake Park (see below)
- 23 August – First Day of School
- 6 September – Labor Day (9/03 through 9/06 – FCPS student holiday)
- 14 October – Village Meeting, 7:30 PM, vote to Ratify FY21 Audit Report, vote to pass a FY22 Budget Proposal with markups if/as needed and vote to elect new Board of Directors.
2. New Neighbors & Directories – Please let me know if you have a new neighbor who arrived our village after 1 November 2020. We will give them a welcome letter along with a community directory. Or better yet – give it to you to present to them.
3. Village Signs – We’d like to put more signs out in the village, especially at homes on the east side of Rolling Road. We’ll put them in your yard and invite you to display it whenever convenient to you and ask that you let me know if you grow tired of it and I’ll come pick it up. Do you get a good amount of vehicle and foot traffic on front sidewalks and street? Interested? There is no right way to display the signs – that is up to you.
4. Free Summer Concert Series – (taken from the Herrity Report) - kicks off 14 July at 7:00 PM at Burke Lake Park featuring Randy Thompson Band (Americana Country, Roots Rock). 2 Silos Beer and Peterson’s Ice Cream will be for sale and La Gringa food truck will also be returning this year.
Some of our local student talent will perform opening acts. Come early to get settled with your picnic blanket, food, drinks, and enjoy the whole show! For last minute performance cancellations due to inclement weather, call 703/324-7469 one hour before the event would begin.
Here are the great bands we have lined up for this summer, along with a seventh show August 25th with artists yet to be determined (TBD).
- 14 - Randy Thompson Band (Americana Country, Roots Rock)
- 21 - The Skip Castro Band (Party Band)
- 28 - The Road Ducks (Southern Rock)
- 4 - The Johnny Artis Band (Blues, Rock & Roll)
- 11 - Practically Einstein (Vintage Rock)
- 18 - The Colin Thompson Band (Blues Rock)
- 25 - Artist TBD
Visit Springfield Nights | Park Authority (fairfaxcounty.gov) for more information and to find other summer concerts at Fairfax County Parks.
5. Featured Contractor – Image Works Landscaping - When you attempt turning left onto Rolling Road from any of our side streets and can actually see the oncoming traffic on the far side of the median – thank Mike McCarron’s Image Works Landscaping. Many remember just how tall the weeds, grass and bushes would get in between the VDOT infrequent cuttings before Mike. So, we (your civic association) contract with Mike to maintain the median during the growing season. His work has been great, as are his prices for the service. Mike also provides full-service landscape and hardscape services to residents and their residential properties.
Scroll through the pics at this link to see the big variety of recent work he and his team have accomplished: https://www.facebook.com/imageworkslandscaping -
Why didn’t he advertise in the last directory? He wanted to, but that would be on me for getting to him too late in the process. Hopefully, he will be in the next directory.
6. Covid-19 – Click here https://vaccinefinder.org to find who has which vaccine and to schedule an appointment to include for those 12+.
7. DC, Maryland & Virginia (DMV) with Kids Database – from Jenna Liao (Barnack) - If you are looking for things to do with kids in the area, check out one of our neighborhood resident's new & free online DMV with Kids Database. The database has 412 family-friendly spots which you can search and filter by 10 criteria including age of kids, indoor/outdoor, cost, parking type, stroller/wheelchair friendly and more! Includes: Farms (28), Indoor Play (62), Museums (50), Parks (141), Playgrounds (76), Food Spots (32), Memorials (12) and Tours (11). Check it out here!
8. Lasagna Dinner - The Village West Vikings invite you to their lasagna dinner fundraiser! This year's dinner will be held at the pool on Saturday, July 17, with three seatings: 5 PM, 6 PM and 7 PM. Take a load off and enjoy a delicious Italian dinner while our teenagers serve you a nice meal. Adult meals are $8, kids under 12 eat for only $4, and wine will be $2 per glass. Kiddos who aren't into lasagna will have a mac and cheese option. All meals also include non-alcoholic beverages, garlic bread, and brownie dessert. To make your reservation, go to https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040B44A4A823A02-lasagna2.
9. Handyman Extraordinaire – Haidar Sadiq – 703/589-3474, email@example.com. Many of you know him and can attest to the quality of his work and his competitive pricing. He is a licensed HVAC serviceman and a wizard with electrical, plumbing and practically all jobs in/around a home. This is the same man who managed to keep me and Suzanne McCormick alive while in Kurdistan. Many know him and have asked for him, but he was travelling to check on his mother and family who are still in northern Iraq (Kurdistan); but he’s back!
Now, if it is as usual – one of you will ask about when your yard debris will be collected or when will our roads be resurfaced. My parents told me to anticipate questions and provide the answers even before the question is asked. I could use your help and input to provide a better communications service. Stay cool, dry, safe and healthy!