Dear Village Neighbors / Friends,
Thanks for the responses about how to format these newsletters in Word and then copy/paste to Google without losing or cyber gerbils changing the format. Hope this works; let me know if it did not.
Mail Call - magical words to a buck private in the US Army. Even though I doubted there would be mail for me – I still approached my Drill Sergeant with sincere hope that my name would be called. I knew my family was busy back home, but when my name wasn’t called out, the rejection was palpable. And now I can still hear Drill Sergeant calling “mail call” as I approach our civic association Post Office Box and I relive that personal pain of not getting mail, specifically your membership information and dues. Please help this old man remember those days when the Drill Sergeant actually would call out “Cooley” or ....in this case .....“CAWSV”! Please send your membership form and dues.
The membership form is attached. The form lists payment instructions, including our mailing address. If you are satisfied with your 2018 directory listing directives, skip the form and just send the dues payment. You can leave your dues under the magic brick to the right of my front door at 8131 Edmonton Court, but please, no cash. You can pay by PayPal, but email me for the link. The magic “here” button got neutered when I changed formatting technique. We’ll fix it; right Bob Havey?
Several asked if you can pay for more than one year at a time. Our Treasurer is very talented at holding advance payments until the appropriate fiscal/membership year. So - yes you can. But in the highly unlikely event that we are forced to increase dues amount, we will come back to you for the delta. The members of our CAWSV (e.g., YOU) will decide the dues amount for the next year (FY20) at our annual May meetings. For now, dues are $10.00 per annum per household.
New Neighbors – Let me know if you have new neighbors and are willing to deliver to them 1) a copy of our current Village Directory, 2) the last newsletter, 3) the latest enews and 4) the Republic Trash agreement (w/notice of price change). Not as welcoming as home baked cookies, but useful stuff to help them transition to our village.
Last Hurrah Grill and Ice Cream Social – Well done Village West Pool Board. I hope you also had a chance to stop by for quesadillas, burgers, hot dogs and ice cream dessert. What better way to meet your neighbors? The next opportunity to socialize with other villagers can be found in the Upcoming Events article below.
Workhouse Arts Center Education Open House - Joan Wheaton (SVD) – sent in the attached flyer for this event that happens this coming Saturday. She says that there will be a lot going on! Also note, if you are signing up for a class, there is a discount offered when you sign up in person in building 16 between 12 – 3:00 PM. Check out the flyer.
West Springfield ES and WSES PTA News (from Amanda Jones, Quebec Court):
- Ice Cream Social – The WSES PTA is hosting a free ice cream social for WSES students and their families on Friday, 7 September from 5 – 7:00 PM outside on the playground (as of now, no rain back up plan). Please check the WSES PTA FB page for any additional updates and info. There will also be pizza for sale (bring cash) if any one wishes to feed their family before serving up ice cream.
- Community Shredding Event - WSES PTA is hosting the community shredding event Saturday, 8 September from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM, put on by Craft and Crew Realty. We have arranged for Shred-It to help stop identity theft. Bring all your confidential documents to be destroyed on-site! This event will be held in the parking lot at WSES (6802 Deland Drive). This event is sponsored by Monique Craft & Crew AND the West Springfield Elementary PTA. We hope you take advantage of this convenient opportunity to purge tax documents, financial records, etc. See attached photo for more information. **Donuts will be sold during the shredding event to help raise money for the WSES PTA so please come shred your confidential documents and support a good cause!
Rolling Valley ES and RVES PTA Events (from Jenna Barron, Landor Lane):
- September 10 - RVES Restaurant Night at Paisano's - Carry Out and Delivery counts!
- September 12 - RVES Back to School Night!
- September 25-26 - RVES Restaurant Night at Austin Grill
- October 16-17 - RVES Restaurant Night at Ledos
- October 27 - Haunted House/Fun Fair at RVES
- RVES PTA is also hosting a food drive for students who need assistance during the school year. Please drop off non-perishable food in the covered plastic bin outside RVES. Especially needed are shelf milk, proteins, and snack bars. The food drive will be held monthly for families at RVES. Dates – to be determined. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Upcoming Village Events (updates included the weekly enews and on our website):
- October 11 WS Village Meeting, 7:30 PM at Rolling Valley Elementary School
- October 28 WS Village Halloween Party & Chili Cook-off – open to all. NOTE Change in Date!
- November 4 Daylight Savings Time Ends
- November 6 Election Day
- December 22 Village Christmas Party – open to all in the Village.
Grandpa time in my afternoon plans. Take care and stay safe!